What you choose to put on your skin matters not just for it's appearance, but for the ingredients it absorbs and assimilates into your bloodstream.
Pure Scents Bath & Body is committed to providing safe, ethical skincare that is all-natural, cruelty free and environmentally conscious.
I've spent a significant amount of time researching where to source my ingredients from. The companies listed below are the ones I've been purchasing from for years, and I find both their products and their business practices to be of the highest quality.
(This list will be periodically updated as the need arises).
CURRENT SUPPLIER LIST
Mountain Rose Herbs
Star West Botanicals
Bulk Natural Oils
San Francisco Salt Company
Below you'll find a brief description of the key ingredients in Pure Scents formulations, and in which products you can expect to find them.
RAW, UNREFINED SHEA BUTTER
Shea butter is a skin superfood derived from the seeds of the shea fruit, which grows on trees in west and central Africa. It provides the skin with essential fatty acids and nutrients necessary for collagen production.
- The concentration of natural vitamins and fatty acids in shea makes it incredibly nourishing and moisturizing for skin.
- Due to its cinnamic acid content and other natural properties, shea butter has anti-inflammatory properties. This is why it’s often used to help with acne and other inflammatory skin conditions.
- Shea butter aids in the skin’s natural collagen production and contains oleic, stearic, palmitic, and linolenic acids that protect, soften and nourish the skin to prevent drying.
Raw, unrefined shea butter is a key ingredient in our lip balms, sugar scrubs and whipped body butters.
RAW COCOA BUTTER
Cocoa butter is a natural fat that is extracted from cocoa beans, which come from the cacao plant. Its medicinal use dates back to the ancient Aztecs and Mayans. In more recent history, numerous studies have shown that the phytochemicals in cocoa butter can be highly beneficial for skin health and appearance.
- Cocoa butter is extremely rich in antioxidants, which helps to fight off free-radical damage to the skin. Skin aging, dark patches, and dullness are all signs of free radical damage, and protecting against this is crucial to keeping our skin looking vibrant and young.
- It's a wonderful anti-inflammatory, which is why it’s been used medicinally to treat inflammatory skin conditions for centuries.
- It's deeply moisturizing, due to its high fatty acid content, and it contains oleic, palmitic, and stearic acids, all which have nourishing and healing properties.
Cocoa butter is a key ingredient in our whipped body butters.
VIRGIN COLD-PRESSED COCONUT OIL
Coconut oil in its purest form is referred to as "raw", "unrefined", or "virgin". There are different methods of extracting the oil from the meat of mature coconuts, cold-pressing being the technique that retains all of the oil's beneficial properties. Large companies that mass-produce their products will often use highly-processed, less expensive, temperature-stable forms of coconut oil, but this processing reduces the amount of naturally occurring phytonutrients and polyphenols, making it less beneficial.
- Virgin, unrefined coconut oil contains an abundance of fatty acids and proteins, providing a multitude of benefits to the skin.
- The fatty acids found in coconut oil have exhibited antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties, which is why it’s often used in the treatment of inflammatory skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema.
- Coconut oil is a wonderful moisturizer with mild UV-protectant properties.
Organic unrefined cold-pressed coconut oil is a key ingredient in all of our lip balms, whipped body butters and sugar scrubs.
ORGANIC CANE SUGAR
We all know that a high sugar diet won't do our skin any favors...but incorporating sugar into our skincare regimen can deliver some highly beneficial results!
- Sugar is a natural humectant, meaning it draws moisture from the environment into the skin. Skincare products that contain sugar will help to hydrate the skin and lock in moisture.
- It's a wonderful source of glycolic acid. Glycolic acid is an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) that penetrates deep into the skin and breaks down the "glue" that bonds skin cells, encouraging cellular regeneration. This powerhouse ingredient is also commonly used to improve the look of sun-damaged and aging skin.
- Sugar granules are unique in that they're round with no sharp edges, making sugar scrubs a more gentle exfoliant than many other types of scrubs on the market.
- Sugar scrubs effectively clear away dry, dead skin cells, which helps to unclog pores and prevent future breakouts.
Cane sugar is the main ingredient in all of our exfoliating sugar scrubs.
SWEET ALMOND OIL
Sweet almond oil usage dates back to ancient Chinese and Ayurvedic practices, and is known to soothe the skin and treat minor wounds and cuts.
- It's full of beneficial components such as vitamin E, vitamin A, monounsaturated fatty acids, protein, potassium, and zinc.
- Vitamin E is an extremely powerful antioxidant. It assists collagen in keeping our skin looking supple and wrinkle-free, and protects our skin from UV radiation damage (scroll further down this page to read more about the benefits of vitamin E).
- Vitamin A is commonly used as a treatment for acne. Because sweet almond oil easily penetrates skin, it’s great for cleaning out the dirt and oil that accumulates in our pores, which can prevent blackheads and acne from developing.
- The fatty acids in sweet almond oil help our skin retain moisture and can heal chapped and irritated skin.
Sweet almond oil is a key ingredient in our lip balms, sugar scrubs, and whipped body butters.
Vegetable glycerin is a clear viscous liquid that is derived from plant oils and has numerous skin benefits.
- It helps to reverse oily skin conditions, heal skin infections, and soften scars, wrinkles and fine lines.
- Glycerin is an emollient, which helps to make skin soft and supple, and helps to disperse the other beneficial ingredients of our skincare products.
- Not only is glycerin safe for all skin types, but it's also a wonderful humectant. This means that it draws moisture to the skin and leaves it feeling hydrated. This moisture-retaining quality also allows skincare products to penetrate more easily into the skin.
Vegetable glycerin can be found in all of our sugar scrubs, aromatherapy sprays and facial toners.
VITAMIN E OIL
- Vitamin E helps to fight against free radical skin damage caused by environmental stressors such as unprotected sun exposure and air pollution.
- It has been shown to have moisturizing and healing benefits, and is said to help strengthen our natural skin barrier.
- It helps to protect other oils against oxidative damage. Since Pure Scents products do not contain preservatives, the addition of vitamin E helps to keep the products stable and prolong their shelf-life.
Vitamin E can be found in all of our lip balms, whipped body butters, and sugar scrubs.
Jojoba oil is extracted from the seeds of the jojoba plant, which is a shrub that most commonly grows in southern Arizona, southern California, and northwestern Mexico.
- Jojoba oil has the unique quality of being closer to our own skin's sebum than any other oil. Because of this, it easily absorbs into the skin to release it's numerous benefits.
- Due to it's molecular stability and long shelf-life, it's commonly used in skin and haircare products.
- Jojoba oil is wonderfully moisturizing, non-comedogenic and safe for all skin types.
Jojoba oil can be found in our exfoliating sugar scrubs.
MINERAL SALTS (Dead Sea, Celtic & Himalayan)
- Warm salt baths are a wonderful way to alleviate tension, increase circulation, relieve muscle soreness and joint pain, and many other benefits.
- The sea salts that Pure Scents uses in the Bath Salts Collection are a combination of Pink and White Himalayan Salt, Celtic Sea Salt, and Dead Sea Salt. All of these are extremely mineral-rich, but combining the three packs an added punch.
- Considering our skin is our largest organ, allowing these trace minerals to permeate through our skin and into our bloodstream helps to heal us from the outside in
- Many swear by warm saltwater baths to help alleviate skin issues such as psoriasis, eczema, scars, acne, etc.
- It's most beneficial to make a regular habit of taking warm salt baths, to help release the toxins that our bodies tend to hold onto. It's also beneficial to drink a large glass of water after each bath to combat dehydration and help to further flush out these toxins.
These 3 therapeutic sea salts are the main ingredients in Pure Scents Soothing Bath Salts collection, along with Magnesium Sulfate (epsom salt)
PURE ESSENTIAL OILS
Last (but far from least!) these heavenly, aromatic, therapeutically potent drops are the ultimate gift from mother nature. Because we use far too many individual oils to mention on this page, here are a few basic fun facts:
- Essential oils were mankind's first medicine, dating back to Old Testament times.
- Essential oils are not technically "oils". Rather, they are highly concentrated liquids distilled from plants.
- The oxygenating, regenerating and immune-defense properties of plants come from their essential oils.
- The molecules are so small in size that they can easily penetrate the skin to release their therapeutic benefits (however, this is only the case when using pure, high quality oils).
- Essential oils are highly aromatic. When released into the air via aerosolization (as in Pure Scents Aromatherapy Collection) or diffusion, they provide significant air purification.
- When applied to the skin in the proper concentration (as in all of Pure Scents Body Butters, Sugar Scrubs and lip balms), they exhibit many skin-enhancing benefits.
- Essential oils have an extremely high bioelectrical frequency. For those that are unfamiliar with vibrational frequencies, let's just say that "high is good"! Clinical research has shown that essential oils can quickly raise the frequency of the human body and restore it to it's normal, healthy level.
- I honestly could go on and on about the amazing healing powers of these oils....I've been an avid user for many years and don't go a single day without incorporating them into my daily routine! Which is why these oils are the "life" in almost all of Pure Scent's products.